The Home Straight…

… by Jack / from Grangemouth / MSc Operational Research / PG

Jack here again, and this time I’ve got exciting news! We’ve got less than a month left of our degrees and it’s all starting to come together (phew!). Lydia and I have spent the last 10 weeks working on our dissertations, as I’m sure she has told you, and now we are on the home straight.

I’m definitely not going to lie to you all, it’s been hard work, but it’s certainly been enjoyable. As I mentioned last time, I’ve been working at AEGON (a life insurance and pensions company on the outskirts of Edinburgh) to complete my project and this has been really good for my CV. I’ve worked closely with a range of professionals on my project and the work itself has been really interesting. I’ve had the chance to get creative and find different ways to apply what I’ve learned throughout the year to different problems.

I’ve got a busy couple of weeks ahead – I’m interviewing at the end of this week for jobs now that we are coming to the end of the programme, and I’ve still got a fair amount of work to do before I can submit my project.

More importantly though, it’s that time of year again in Edinburgh – the Fringe festival is on! So, I’m going to find time to go see a few shows, especially with the late running trains at the moment, it means I can still go see things and make it home to Falkirk!

I’m currently sitting in the Main Library writing to you all, and I’ve popped in a couple of pictures of my view at the moment – that big tent is a part of the Fringe. 

Being so close to it all is great, after a hard day’s work it is so tempting to head over there and see what’s going on! If you’re around Edinburgh over the next couple of weeks I’d certainly spend some time checking it out (along with checking the Uni out as well).

This is the final blog post you’ll be getting from us, so we hope you all got the results you were hoping for over the last few weeks and have secured your place to study here. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it as much as we have!

Over and out,

Lydia and Jack