Post-Exam, Pre-Project…

… by Lydia / from Birmingham / MSc Operational Research / PG

Exams, exams, exams… This is all my life seems to consist of right now. For the last month, I have sleepwalked into the library, set up camp on the 4th floor (perfect for procrastination taking in the amazing views – below) and taken breaks for my usual student diet of 2 meal deals a day. Motivation is starting to wane, however as a self-proclaimed seasoned professional when it comes to university exam periods (just realised that this is my 8th), I know that it will all be worth it in the end.

View of the Meadows from the library

I am the definition of pessimist when it comes to reviewing how exams went, so no comments on that. However, a little pressure has been taken off because… since my last blog post, I’ve managed to secure myself a graduate scheme starting in September!!
I’ll be joining previous UoE graduates at British Airways on their (long title coming) Advanced Analytics and Operational Research Graduate Scheme.
In my interview, the first question was ‘How did I end up at the University of Edinburgh?’. The skills and experience that come with a degree from this university are very highly valued.

Most importantly, a job offer has shown me that all the hard work is worthwhile! Yes there may be a few sleepless nights here and there, yes it’s definitely harder than a BSc, but I would not have received this offer without the skills I have developed in the last few months.

Another course related life update is that I’ve been allocated my MSc project. I opted out of doing a dissertation at undergrad as ‘it seemed like too much hard work’ (and Cardiff University allowed us to just take extra modules instead) so stay tuned to find out how I cope with my first ever taste of the dissertation life. The last time I wrote an essay was way back at A-levels! But my project is interesting and you will hear a lot more about that in the next blog from me.

Now, back to present day in sunny (please stay this way) Edinburgh. The most important thing I have learnt, over the years, is that exam periods are tough but you really do have to give yourself breaks. Exercise is great, even if it’s a walk in the Meadows, just to chill out and give your brain some time off. To motivate myself, I may have taken it to the extreme, and I have just secured my place at London Marathon for next year (I am terrified), but simply signing up for a 5k is motivation to get yourself moving and give yourself healthy revision breaks. Edinburgh Marathon Festival is just around the corner…

And if that doesn’t sound good to you, I’ve also taken lots of food-related revision breaks too. Because food is life right?

Until next time,

Lydia